With the decreased home stock inventory and median single-family home price in Austin rising to $400,500 in August - up 2.7% compared with the same time last year — you might be wondering where to find an affordable place to live in the Central Texas area. It turns out two of the most affordable spots in Texas are right in our own backyard. In statistical comparison, Williamson County presented a median price for a single-family home remaining at $295,000, the same as August 2018. With these jaw dropping numerical differences, communities in Williamson County are due for a closer dig into their details.
Cedar Park, Texas
In a new article published by MarketWatch, Cedar Park was ranked No. 3 among "The Best Affordable Places to Live in Texas." The criteria focused on areas with a strong job market and the types of amenities offered. Below are some of the highlights showing why Cedar Park is leading the way as superb suburb.
- A solid economy and growing number of employers including Fallbrook Technologies, Firefly Space Systems, and high-tech companies like National Oilwell Varco, Dana.
- A healthier and safer than average community as shown in the 2019 County Health Rankings. Cedar Park's home of Williamson County comes in as the third-healthiest in the state for the last ten consecutive years. Also of note, Williamson County boasts a No. 3 ranking in Texas counties for a ratio of 1,581 residents per doctor, more access to places for exercise, has fewer teen births and are more likely to have health insurance than state averages.
- Data from the same article reports that county residents are less likely to be a victim of a violent crime and are more likely to be college-educated.
- Cedar Park Entertains! The area is home of the H-E-B Center, a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment venue that parades an impressive roster of performers each month and is home to the American Hockey League’s Texas Stars and minor league basketball’s Austin Spurs.
- Great Accessibility to nearby Austin. Cedar Park is located 17 miles from downtown Austin with easy access via the MetroRail commuter train.
Read more details about this community in TNT's Cedar Park City guide.
Round Rock, Texas
The Austin-Round Rock area continues to be one of the nation's fastest-growing regions. The area was recently ranked No. 4 among "Americas Fastest Growing Cities" in 2019 by 24/7 Wall Street for seeing a population growth of more than 25% from 2010 to 2018. Below are some of the reasons for why Round Rock is rolling forward as a top Texas community.
- Currently rated No. 5 among the "Best Suburbs to Buy a House in Austin" by Niche. The study took into account key factors like a location’s housing market, including home values, taxes, crime rates, and quality of local schools, in an attempt to measure the quality and stability of an area’s real estate market.
- A thriving economy and work atmosphere. The unemployment rate in the area is 3% and the median household income is nearly $70,000. The communities largest employers include the famous Dell Technologies and healthcare giants like Seton, St. David's, and Baylor Scott & White.
- Overall good quality of life. Lifestyle Blog Apartment Therapy recently included Round Rock among the "Coolest Suburbs in America 2019." The area is home to an array of cultural activities, a sense of community, and a charming historic main street. The community also hosts plenty of pallet pleasing restaurants including newcomers like Fuego Latino Gastropub or Salt Traders Coastal Cooking and old favorites like Round Rock Donuts.
- It's the self-proclaimed “Sports Capital of Texas.” City officials have spent decades advancing athletic endeavors by building sports facilities, fostering athletic programs, developing miles of nature trails and thousands of acres of public parkland. The city’s Triple-A team, the Round Rock Express, is celebrating its 20th season; and a new multipurpose complex has hosted national tournaments for rugby, lacrosse, ultimate Frisbee, and even Quidditch.
- Great accessibility to nearby Austin. Round Rock is located an easy 17 miles from downtown Austin. Only a hop, skip, and an Uber away!
Read more details about this community in TNT's Round Rock City guide.